Conference Dial-in Number:
Dial this number (641) 715-3200
Wait to be prompted to enter Participant Access Code: 466833#
GREETINGS, FAMILY
WELCOME TO OUR MONTHLY BUSINESS MEETING
Assigned Reading
I've been thinking hard about whether or not to venture into new territory, which includes a short reading selection from a book I enjoyed. I know how busy everyone's lives are. I'm trusting that you can devote 15 minutes to reading this selection and another 15 minutes during the week to observing and thinking about your own behavior when you feel angry or stressed.
So here goes. Please print and read the 2-page attachment from a book called THE DANCE OF ANGER by Harriet Lerner. Lerner describes 5 patterns or styles of negotioting relationships when anxiety and stress are high: Pursuers, Distancers, Underfunctioners, Overfunctioners, and Blamers. I thought it might be useful for each of us to examine how we characteristically manage anger and think about which category (or categories) we most often fall into. The author points out that none of these categories are good or bad, right or wrong. And that you get into trouble only if you are in an extreme position or if you are unable to observe and change your pattern when it is keeping you angry or stuck. If we feel daring on Thursday (after all, the title of the chapter is "Tasks for the Daring"!), we could share our reflections about ourselves with the group. And if not ready to share, feel free to pass.
Next, I thought we could share methods that each of us have found to be successful in dealing with our anger. I've attached another article (10 Powerful Ways to Deal With Anger) that offers some ideas. It might kick off your own thought processes.
Agenda
September 8, 2011
1) Serenity Prayer
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
2) Old Business
3) New Business
Next business meeting
Next social meeting (time & place)
4) Discussion Topic:
Identifying Your Style(s) of Managing Anger
Coping Strategies that Work Best for You
Order: Wallace, Laura, Jennifer, Joe, Robert, Vicki, Ty, Donna, Bob
6) Closing: The Lord's Prayer
Enjoy Labor Day weekend. Looking forward to hearing from you all on Thursday!
Stay safe,
Vicki (Mom)
Friday, September 2, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment